Did you know that May 13th is International Hummus day? Why do I always find out about this on the day!
I adore hummus, of all kinds. I’m definitely Anything but a purist though. For me, one of the joys of making your own hummus is you get to get creative, experiment a little, try new things. (Some more successful than others!).
My partner is possibly even more hummus obsessed than me, and could easily go through a tub a day if he was allowed! So thankfully shop-bought hummus’s are getting better and better, otherwise I’d never leave the kitchen trying to make enough!
Since it’s National Hummus Day, I couldn’t possibly not make a batch of some kind! So I thought I’d get a little creative with a roasted vegetable hummus.
This hummus has sweet roasted red pepper, soft courgette, caramelised, roasted onions and the creamy delicate notes of roasted garlic.
I also added a sun-dried tomato, which complimented the vegetables beautifully.
You could easily roast a large batch of veg for dinner, and use a handful in this hummus, or use the leftovers from a meal.
I cooked mine using my Actifry “air fryer”, and the veg was done in about 10-15 minutes! So I definitely recommend using one if you have it. If not, roasting in the oven will achieve the same results.
I highly recommend doubling the recipe! It won’t last long.
I served mine with some stir-fry burgers, sweet & sour sauce, grilled vegetables, marinaded mushrooms, kale & cabbage (I need to post a recipe for this soon! So easy but so good), chips, and salad!
Though you could also easily just eat this hummus by the spoon-full!
My partner says it’s the nicest hummus I’ve ever made. Try it and let me know what you think!
Roasted Vegetable Hummus
By May 14, 2016Published:
Did you know that May 13th is International Hummus day? Why do I always find out about this on the day! I adore hummus, of all …
- 50 g Onion Roughly chopped
- 60 g Red pepper ( half a large one) Roughly chopped
- 80 g Courgette Roughly Chopped
- 3-4 Cloves Fresh Garlic
- 1 Tin Chickpeas with liquid
- 25 g Tahini
- Fresh Lemon Juice Juice of one lemon
- Pinch Salt
- 1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 1-2 Sundried tomato halves
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs Fresh chopped parsley
- Roughly chop your veggies - The finer they are, the quicker they will roast. I like them an inch big so they still stay soft and succulent. Coat your veg in the oil, and roast until tender.
- A little tip I heard for hummus making which has really made a big difference, is heating your chickpeas first! I popped the whole tin, liquid and all, into a container, then microwaved for 2 minutes (you could simmer on the hob if you don't use a microwave. Add all of the ingredients to your food processor, and blitz! I recommend adding the lemon juice and salt in stages, until you get it to a taste you like. I like a lot of lemon, others may not!
- I kept a small amount of roasted veg to one side to top the hummus with, and also a little of the oil from my sundried tomatoes (optional). You can serve it warm, room temperature or chill for later! Enjoy!