Today was International Hummus Day!
I don’t know about you, but for me, hummus is pretty much it’s own food group.
It goes Fruits, Vegetables, Protein, Carbohydrates, Fats, and Hummus, right?
So when I found out that there was a day dedicated to Hummus, I just knew I had to get involved!
Only.. when I went to make some, I realised to my horror that I had actually run out of chickpeas. My dreams were dashed.
Tins of potatoes, tomatoes and mushy peas leered at me.
I was tempted to instead whip up a batch of my Phummus, which I know is always lovely. But I wasn’t really in the mood for that particular bright green addiction.
Then, to my delight, it was spotted! Hiding coyly behind a bottle of sweet chilli sauce – a lone tin of butter beans!
That might just work, I thought!
And it certainly did!
I tried to keep the fat down in this recipe, and upped the flavour with smoked garlic and yellow peppers. If you’re using normal garlic, a touch of smoked paprika can add another level, and the yellow pepper adds a little extra depth and sweetness. A perfect balance.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Butterbean, smoked garlic and bell pepper hummus
By May 14, 2015Published:
Today was International Hummus Day! I don't know about you, but for me, hummus is pretty much it's own food group. It goes Fruits, …
- 1 Tin Butter beans Drained
- 1 Clove garlic I used smoked, but any would work.
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 lemon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1-2 Tsp Tahini I used light
- 1/4 Yellow Bell Pepper Orange or red sould. work well too
- It really couldn't be any simpler! Just pop it all in a food processor, and whiz until smooth! Adjust the seasonings, if you need to, to taste. And enjoy slathered on anything!